Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I never promised you a rose garden

But that is what I'm getting. Yesterday, Home Depot had a great sale on roses and I bought 15 bushes. I will be taking 'before' pictures today so you can see where I'm going to be putting them. But I have an entire fence line that I will be using these roses as a privacy wall.

Not one bush was the same so I will have a variety of colors and blooms. My goal with this is to have a few bushes blooming from spring into late summer so I always have flowers to look at and some for inside.



What do the colors of roses mean? I searched online and found this...
  • Red: love, used to say "I love you," but also stands for courage and respect.
  • Red & White Together or White Roses with Red Edges signify unity and togetherness.
  • Pink: symbolizes grace, sophistication and elegance. Also symbolizes gentle feelings of love and friendship.
  • Dark Pink: Gratefulness and appreciation.
  • Light Pink: Admiration, sympathy
  • White: Innocence, purity, secrecy, friendship, reverence and humility.
  • Yellow: Often akin to joy and deep friendship or platonic love. In German speaking countries, however, they can mean jealousy and infidelity.
  • Yellow with red tips: Symbolizes a gesture of falling in love.
  • Orange or Coral symbolizes enthusiasm and desire
  • Burgundy: Beauty
  • Blue: Mystery
  • Green: Calm
  • Black: used to signify death (black being the color of death) often of old habits. In a positive light it signifies rebirth after death. Also, slavish devotion (as a true black rose is impossible to produce).
  • Purple: protection (paternal/maternal love)

The rose also has various supernatural and literary attributes.

  • Pale Colors:convey warmth and friendship.
  • A Dozen Roses: stand for "there are dozens of ways I care about you."
  • Two Dozen Roses: stands for the 24 hours in a day and tells that "you think about them every hour".
  • Three Dozen Roses: signify a romantic attachment unlike any other.
  • Four Dozen Roses: mean unchanging and unconditional love.
(taken from Wikipedia.com)


I'm also in a search for a website that explains the different roses and when they bloom and how hardy they are. If anyone has found such a site please share! Thanks!

On another note I received about 10 berry plants from my boyfriend's mom (she is a gardening enthusiast) and I got those in the ground as well. There are raspberries and blackberries in this group. They are fast growers and produce a lot of fruit. So I'm very excited to see them take off. This is one area that I planted...


No comments: